Alleged Purse Snatcher Tackled To Ground | Crime
A 25-year-old man was charged for allegedly trying to steal a woman’s purse at a store in Fairview Heights.
Authorities said police responded to Old Time Pottery located in the 10,000 block of Lincoln Trail around 3 p.m. Friday for a report of a robbery.
Officers learned the victim was shopping in the store with her purse in her shopping cart when Aaron Sumida allegedly grabbed the purse and began to run away. The victim noticed this occurring and grabbed her purse and Sumida.
Sumida tried to get away by hitting the victim’s hands and pulling away. The victim gave chase through the store until the victim’s husband tackled Sumida to the ground and held him with the assistance of store employees.
Sumida was charged by the St. Clair County State’s Attorney’s Office with one count theft from the person, a class 3 criminal felony, and one count possession of drug paraphernalia, a class a criminal misdemeanor.
Sumida’s bond was set at $100,000.
Top St. Clair - Monroe County Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- ROSE Award Presentations Generate Surprises, Smiles at Rockwood
- Two-Foot Tall Marijuana Plant Grew in Arnold Man's Bathroom, Police Say
- Horse Thief Nabs Two Animals in Dittmer
- South County Police Officers Being Honored by Mental Health America
- Oklahoma Couple Visiting St. Louis Narrowly Misses Tornado